Welcome to the home page for Project Clanilla
Now taking new applicants, MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER WITH YOUR IN GAME NAME SO WE CAN ALL TELL WHOSE WHO Wink Don't forget the riddle!
Scroll down for the application section Wink
Welcome to the home page for Project Clanilla
Now taking new applicants, MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER WITH YOUR IN GAME NAME SO WE CAN ALL TELL WHOSE WHO Wink Don't forget the riddle!
Scroll down for the application section Wink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Talks of a New Server
The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeby miningninja Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:15 pm

» Server Status Update
The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeby AngryKhan Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:12 pm

» Server Down
The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeby bladex110 Wed May 09, 2012 10:37 pm

» Problems & Updates by Angof
The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeby sordcooper Thu May 03, 2012 7:06 pm

» Azure: An Ocean City
The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeby bladex110 Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:21 pm

» SMP Vech's Super Hostile
The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeby Angofwolf Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:53 am

» Event: Build a Skyrail, Help the Server <Rewards>
The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeby Gordijnplooi Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:42 am

» If you are not whitelisted post here.
The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeby acesss Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:57 pm

» Project Clanilla's B-DAY OLD SPAWN TNT CAKE PARTY!!!!
The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeby Angofwolf Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:41 am

The Skyrail

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gordijnplooi

Gordijnplooi

The Skyrail Empty
PostSubject: The Skyrail   The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 2:35 pm

I think Angof once made a topic about this already, but I couldn't find it so I decided to make one myself.

I don't know about you all, but I am pretty enthusiastic about starting building the skyrail as soon as the server gets back online again (unless there is a big chance we may need to reset the maps again because of Mojang updating the game every single week *). Does anyone have an idea yet about how they would like the skyrail to look?

I have been messing around a bit with bridges today, and I thought something like this might look good:
The Skyrail 2012-023
(shame on me, after more than half a year on this forum I still can't manage to properly upload images xD)

This 80 blocks long bridge took about an hour to make in creative (I tried using the flying mode as less as possible). So I guess including gathering a shitload of resources 1 person should be able to build a 100 blocks long bridge in about 3 hours. Which is not exactly quick but easily possible with multiple people involved.

If you have any other ideas yourself please post them here Smile This was just meant to give an example of what I think would look good.

* I should have read the other topics better, since another server reset could be happening soon it probably won't be a good idea to start building on this map anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Angofwolf

Angofwolf

The Skyrail Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skyrail   The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Sorry! I cleaned up the forums today and deleted a lot of old topics that seemed not-important anymore.

But yeah I would totally be willing to work on a skyrail, but you know... the map is 12000x12000 blocks. Razz

That said we would need to determine the best place to start and end the rail. Also we have to question how high would we want to make it since the new sky cap is 250 and that rail only seems about 12 high.
Back to top Go down
Gordijnplooi

Gordijnplooi

The Skyrail Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skyrail   The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah don't mind the height of this rail Razz You can make it as heigh as you want by just extending the pillars.

Were you thinking about making the skyrail so high up in the air that it won't be visible from ground level? Because then it wouldn't really matter how it looks. Though I think one big skyrail across the map (or at least a part of it) would look pretty neat.

Personally I think the best place to start the rail would be close to spawn.

The best place to end it would be a bit harder to determine. Maybe build a station every 1500 blocks or so in each direction from the station at spawn? Your minecart would slow down as you enter one of these stations so that you can choose to break it down and leave the rail or not do anything and continue your journey. People might want to start building close to these stations or make a road from their building towards the station.

Also I don't think you have to cover the complete 12000 block's right away (that would be an awful lot of work) but just keep building rail / stations as the server grows and people need space further away from the existing rail to place their buildings.
Back to top Go down
Angofwolf

Angofwolf

The Skyrail Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skyrail   The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 3:55 pm

I propose 100 blocks high. It's viewable that way and actually in the sky. Of course it may not be higher than some mountains then but... >_>

Also there is a lot of ocean >_> Maybe we should make the pillars further apart? D:
Back to top Go down
Gordijnplooi

Gordijnplooi

The Skyrail Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skyrail   The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 4:42 pm

You can always make a tunnel go through the few mountains that are in your way. I actually did that as well today, it doesn't look that bad. Maybe I'll make a rail 100 blocks high with 34 block's of space between the pillars in a mountain biome tomorrow. I wonder how that looks Smile
Back to top Go down
Gordijnplooi

Gordijnplooi

The Skyrail Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skyrail   The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 7:22 am

I made these to get an idea of how the rail would look if you place the pillars further apart:

The Skyrail 1010

The Skyrail 2410

The Skyrail 3410

Personally I think the 3th one is the best one (considering the amount of resources needed). But you shouldn't place the pillars further apart. It wouldn't look very good. What's your opinion about this?
Back to top Go down
Gordijnplooi

Gordijnplooi

The Skyrail Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skyrail   The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 7:50 am

I did a little calculation for the last situation (pillars 34 blocks apart) as well.

Imagine each pillar would be 25 blocks high like in the image above. Then each 38 blocks wide rail segment would cost you 444 (7 stacks of) sandstone blocks, 28 half sandstone blocks, 4 fences, 74 normal mine tracks, 2 golden mine tracks and 2 redstone torches.

This would increase with 8 * every block height above 25 sandstone per pillar. So say you're in an ocean and the pillar is 75 blocks high this would cost you an extra 400 sandstone blocks.

This may seem like a lot, but I think it's not that hard. I was able to gather 10 stacks of sandstone yesterday in about 15 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Angofwolf

Angofwolf

The Skyrail Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skyrail   The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:12 am

Well you still arn't building very high. The higher you build the further the pillars can be apart while still looking good. But of the listed ones 34 looks the best to me.
Back to top Go down
Gordijnplooi

Gordijnplooi

The Skyrail Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skyrail   The Skyrail I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:36 am

Actually sea level is at y64, so if you would build it on a 11 blocks high hill this is how high the pillars are going to be (at least if you want the rail to be at y100).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Skyrail Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Skyrail   The Skyrail I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Skyrail
Page 1 of 1